Louisiana Car Accident Lawyer
Another person’s carelessness on the road can change your life in the blink of an eye. If you or a loved one were injured in a car accident, you may be eligible to receive compensation for your physical, emotional, and financial losses. The Louisiana car accident lawyers at Shamieh Law are here to champion your interests as you navigate this difficult time. Call us at 866-552-1801 today to schedule your free consultation.
707 Dr Michael DeBakey Drive Suite A Lake Charles, LA 70601
Car accidents range in severity from minor fender benders on neighborhood roads to catastrophic multi-vehicle pileups on the highway. In all cases, if you were injured in a car crash, you should not hesitate to consult with an attorney. Chances are your financial recovery lies in the hands of insurance adjusters who have little incentive to offer you a fair settlement.
You need a skilled legal advocate in your corner to defend your interests and help you recover the compensation you deserve. Our car accident attorneys have recovered millions of dollars for car accident victims throughout the state, and we want to put that experience to work for you.
When you turn to our team for help, we’ll take care of each step of the legal process so you can focus on what matters most: your recovery. Contact our personal injury lawyers in Louisiana today to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation.
Why Choose Shamieh Law to Handle Your Louisiana Car Accident Claim?
Shamieh Law was founded by Ramez Shamieh, a Louisiana native and award-winning personal injury attorney with years of experience securing excellent case results for accident victims and their families. Ramez has hand-picked a group of top-tier legal professionals, including attorneys, paralegals, and case managers, who are as dedicated as he is to each client’s case. Our team has a relentless work ethic and won’t stop advocating for our clients until we’ve done everything we can to achieve the full and fair compensation they deserve.
We approach each case with our “Winning With Awareness” philosophy, which emphasizes compassion, respect, and dignity while seeking the best results for our clients. Our legal team takes pride in assisting people with the legal aftermath of an injury or loss, whether that means helping them with their settlement or getting them medical attention. When you entrust us with your case, you’ll notice the difference this makes from the very start.
Our lawyers have recovered millions on behalf of our clients. We’ve also been recognized by numerous local and national organizations and publications for our achievements. The following are just a few of the many prestigious awards and honors we’ve received for our commitment to excellent service:
- The Top 10 Attorney Award from Attorney and Practice Magazine
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Ratings by Martindale-Hubbell
- 10 Best Client Satisfaction from The American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys
Glowing Client Testimonials
We are also extremely proud of our strong reputation among our many satisfied clients. We believe their testimonials speak for themselves.
- “I had a bad accident that required plenty of medical work. Shamieh Law and his team went to work and took care of all my issues. I walked away with a very fair payout. Their services were perfect.” – Corey
- “I had never been involved in a car accident. I was in shock, clueless, in a lot of pain! SHAMIEH LAW was professional, and they helped me at every step along the way. They took care of my settlement. I’m pleased and satisfied with the results. I highly recommend them.” – Rulli
- “Very attentive to any and all questions and issues. So far, they have been able to help alleviate any of my worries or apprehensions regarding my case.” – Clinton
What We’ll Do for You
Our Louisiana car accident lawyers are dedicated to providing you with full-service legal representation and support when you’ve been injured in an auto accident. This begins with a free consultation. During this meeting, we’ll provide a thorough overview of your legal options so you can make an informed decision about how to proceed.
In most cases, we’ll start by filing a claim with the at-fault party’s insurance company. Our attorneys will gather evidence demonstrating the other party’s liability and why you’re entitled to the amount of compensation we seek. The insurance company will likely make a settlement offer for less than you deserve, so we’ll negotiate with their insurance adjusters on your behalf.
We strive to resolve most cases without court intervention. However, our primary goal is to recover compensation for your losses, so we aren’t afraid to bring your case to court if the insurance company refuses to make a fair settlement offer. If your case goes this route, we’ll prepare a strong argument to present to the judge and jury at trial.
Types of Car Accident Cases We Handle in Louisiana
Our Louisiana auto accident lawyers have over a decade of experience handling car accident cases throughout the state. We take a different approach for each type of car accident case to ensure that we provide the best possible results for our clients. The following are just some of the car accident case types we handle:
Louisiana Car Accident Statistics
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, there were 887 fatal crashes across Louisiana in 2021 alone. These crashes resulted in 972 deaths. The numbers break down as follows:
- Pickup truck/SUV occupants – 33 percent
- Car occupants – 31 percent
- Large truck occupants – 2 percent
- Pedestrians – 19 percent
- Motorcyclists – 9 percent
- Bicyclists – 3 percent
Certain regions of Louisiana experience more car accident injuries than others. According to data from the Center for Analytics & Research in Transportation Safety at LSU, the following Louisiana parishes saw the greatest number of accident-related injuries in 2022:
- Orleans – 9,774 injuries
- East Baton Rouge – 9,066 injuries
- Jefferson – 5,570 injuries
- Lafayette – 4,542 injuries
- Caddo – 4,437 injuries
- Calcasieu – 3,169 injuries
- Ouachita – 2,550 injuries
- St. Tammany – 2,428 injuries
- Tangipahoa – 2,004 injuries
- Ascension – 1,767 injuries
- Rapides – 1,746 injuries
- Bossier – 1,721 injuries
- Livingston – 1,608
- Terrebonne – 1,457 injuries
- St. Landry – 1,151 injuries
- Lafourche – 1,045 injuries
Types of Louisiana Car Accident Claims
Louisiana car accident cases often involve overlapping legal concepts and claim types, depending on the circumstances leading up to the accident and the resulting injuries or damages. This section explores a few common causes of action in car accident cases.
Negligence is one of the most common causes of action underlying car accident claims. These cases involve proving that a driver’s failure to exercise reasonable care caused the accident and resulting injuries. The liable party in a negligence claim is often another driver in a car. Still, other parties may also be liable, such as a commercial vehicle driver’s employer or a government entity responsible for road maintenance.
If a defective vehicle or its components are responsible for a car crash in Louisiana, the victim may file a product liability claim against the manufacturer or distributor of the faulty product. These claims can involve design defects, manufacturing defects, or inadequate warnings and instructions.
Liability and Comparative Fault in Louisiana Car Accidents
You must prove that another party is liable for the accident and your injuries to obtain compensation. Fortunately, under Louisiana’s pure comparative fault law, you may recover compensation even if you are partially at fault for the accident.
When you file a car accident claim or lawsuit, you will be assigned a percentage of fault reflecting the degree to which your negligence may have contributed to the accident. If you are partially liable, your damages will be reduced according to your percentage of fault. For example, if you were 30 percent responsible, and the total value of your damages is $100,000, your final settlement or jury award would be reduced to $70,000.
In many cases, insurance adjusters will inflate claims of comparative negligence to reduce the amount of damages they pay. Our Louisiana car accident lawyers can help you fight back against these claims to help ensure you get the full and fair compensation you deserve. Call us at 866-552-1801 today to learn more about how we can help.
Who Can Be Liable for Your Car Accident in Louisiana?
The identity of the liable party in your car accident case will depend on the specific circumstances of the accident. Examples of potentially liable parties include:
- Other drivers or passengers
- The owner of another vehicle
- Another driver’s employer
- Vehicle manufacturers
- Government entities
- Pedestrians or bicyclists
In some cases, multiple parties may be liable for the same accident. For example, two drivers may both speed past a stop sign and collide. In this case, both drivers share the blame for the accident.
In other situations, one person might directly cause the crash, but others could also be at fault. For instance, if an employee causes a crash due to fatigue while driving a company vehicle for work, the employer might share responsibility because they encouraged the employee to drive to the point of exhaustion.
Available Compensation in a Louisiana Car Accident Cases
The types of compensation available to you depend on the details of your case, such as the severity of your injuries and the various ways it impacted your life. These are some of the most common damages our car accident attorneys in Louisiana help recover for our clients:
- Medical Expenses – You may be entitled to compensation for the cost of all medical care related to your injury, such as hospital stays, surgeries, doctor visits, rehabilitation, and medication. This includes past and future medical expenses.
- Lost Wages – If you had to take time off work due to your injuries, you may be eligible to recover compensation for lost income. This type of compensation may also account for lowered earning capacity if the accident has affected your ability to earn a living in the long term.
- Disability Accommodations and Mobility Aids – Your compensation may also include the cost of accessibility modifications to your home or vehicle (e.g., ramps or stairlifts) to accommodate a long-term disability. You may also receive compensation for the cost of mobility aids like wheelchairs.
- Non-Economic Damages – You may also be entitled to non-economic damages, which can compensate for pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life. The amount awarded for these damages can vary widely. Why? Because the subjective nature of these losses means that their value will vary from case to case, person to person, and jury to jury.
- Wrongful Death Damages – If you’re filing a lawsuit on behalf of a loved one who was killed in a car accident, you may be eligible for wrongful death damages, including funeral and burial expenses, loss of financial support, and emotional anguish.
Statute of Limitations for Louisiana Car Accident Claims
You must act quickly if you believe you have a Louisiana car accident case. Louisiana sets a strict deadline for taking legal action in a law known as the statute of limitations. If you miss the deadline governing your case, you will most likely be barred from recovering compensation for your losses.
Louisiana’s statute of limitations for personal injury cases is set at one year from the date of the accident. Wrongful death cases in Louisiana also have a one-year deadline, but the timer starts on the date of the victim’s death.
Schedule Your Free Consultation with a Louisiana Car Accident Lawyer
You should not have to pay for another person’s mistake. If you or someone you love was injured or killed in a Louisiana car accident, Shamieh Law can help you seek the compensation you deserve. Contact us today to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation. Our Louisiana car crash attorneys work on a contingency basis, so there are no out-of-pocket fees to work with our attorneys, and you pay nothing unless we win your case.