Austin Car Accident Lawyer
Car accidents often leave victims with debilitating injuries and overwhelming medical bills. If you were hurt in a car crash, an Austin car accident lawyer from Shamieh Law can help you pursue the compensation you deserve. We have helped countless crash victims in Austin and throughout Texas. Call us at 512-888-3333 or contact us online today to schedule your free consultation.
3800 North Lamar Blvd Suite #200, Austin, Texas 78756
If you were injured in a car accident caused by another person’s negligence, you are likely entitled to compensation for your injuries and losses. Don’t wait to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney in Austin. The sooner you do, the more time your attorney will have to build a solid claim on your behalf.
Our experienced auto accident legal team is here to help guide you through every step of your accident claim. While you focus on your recovery, we can take care of the legal complexities of your case.
In every case, we work hard to recover the compensation our clients deserve. Let us do the same for you. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation. You pay nothing unless we win your case.
Austin Car Accident Statistics
Car accidents are a serious problem in Austin. In 2022 alone, there were a total of 12,768 traffic crashes in the city. These accidents caused 537 serious injuries and 118 fatalities. According to Austin Transportation’s Vision Zero Program, the highest number of traffic crashes in Austin seems to occur in May and October. Further, the most common times/days for traffic accidents seem to be Monday at 5 p.m., Friday at 8 p.m., Saturday at 2 a.m., and Sunday at 2 a.m.
Where Do Austin Car Accidents Happen Most?
Accidents can occur anywhere. However, a few roads and highways in Austin stand out as accident hotspots. According to a survey of accidents between 2019-2023, the following Austin roadways see the most accidents:
- Interstate 35
- Capital of Texas Highway/State Highway Loop 360
- State Highway 45
- State Highway 71
- Mopac Expressway/State Highway Loop 1
- Rundberg Lane
- Research Boulevard
- Ben White Boulevard
- Ed Bluestein Boulevard
- Oltorf Street
- Riverside Drive
- Cesar Chavez Street
- Anderson Lane
- Dessau Road
- Stassney Lane
Why Choose Shamieh Law as Your Austin Car Accident Lawyers?
At Shamieh Law, we take a unique, holistic approach to the personal injury cases we handle. We call our philosophy “Winning With Awareness.” This means we treat our clients and all people involved in their cases with the respect, compassion, and dignity they deserve. The professional relationships we build and maintain through our approach put our clients in the best position to get the full and fair compensation they deserve for their injuries and losses.
When you work with our award-winning attorneys, you’ll notice that we implement our philosophy from the moment you step into our office to the day you receive your settlement or judgment check. We treat our clients like family and take the time to truly understand their situation and concerns. This allows us to fully meet their goals and provide compassionate support throughout the life of their case.
Our founding partner, Ramez Shamieh, has extensive experience providing top-tier representation to injury victims throughout Texas. Under his leadership, our Austin car accident injury law firm has secured millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts on behalf of our clients. The attorneys on our team, as well as our skilled paralegals, case managers, and other support staff, ensure each client is informed and feels empowered to exercise their right to compensation.
We are very proud of the reputation we have built in the legal community. Our attorneys have been recognized by numerous professional organizations and publications, including:
- Super Lawyers
- Texas Lawyer
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- The American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys
Excellent Car Accident Case Results
Our car accident attorneys in Austin know what it takes to help those injured in a crash get the compensation they need to recover. When you’re our client, we will fight for your rights at every stage of the claims process. A few of the settlements and verdicts we’ve secured for our car accident clients include:
- $925,000 for a client who suffered disc herniations and a knee injury requiring surgery after a collision with a commercial vehicle.
- $700,000 for a client who was rear-ended by an 18-wheeler, resulting in a traumatic brain injury and spinal injuries.
- $650,000 for a client who suffered a traumatic brain injury in a three-car collision due to another driver’s failure to yield the right of way.
- $500,000 for a client who suffered a traumatic brain injury and rotator cuff injury after colliding with a semi-truck that failed to yield the right of way.
Glowing Client Testimonials
Any good car accident attorney should prioritize the needs and goals of their clients in the most professional and ethical manner possible. That’s our job, and we believe our clients’ reviews show our dedication to putting our clients first. Here’s what some of our clients have to say about working with our Austin car accident law firm:
- “I had the privilege of working with Shamieh Law following a devastating personal injury, and I cannot express enough how grateful I am for their exceptional services. From the very first consultation to the resolution of my case, they demonstrated an unparalleled level of professionalism, expertise, and genuine empathy.” – Payam
- “I can’t say enough good things about Ramez and his team at Shamieh Law. They were very easy to work with, communicated well, and fought hard to deliver the settlement necessary to get me on the mend after my car accident.” – David
- “Ramez and the staff at Shamieh Law were incredibly responsive, always available, and on top of everything to solve my case. I couldn’t be happier with the outcome. Completely trustworthy. Absolutely recommended.” – Carlos
Types of Compensation You Can Recover Through a Car Accident Lawsuit in Austin
There are multiple types of compensation you may recover through a car accident lawsuit, including the following:
1. Compensatory Damages
If you successfully prove the at-fault party’s responsibility for your Austin car accident, a court can order them to pay you for your economic and non-economic losses, sometimes known as compensatory damages. This form of damages can compensate you for things like:
- The cost of past and future medical expenses, including:
- Doctor’s appointments
- Physical therapy
- The cost of long-term care and support, such as:
- Home health services
- Mobility devices
- Accessibility upgrades to your home or vehicle
- Lost wages and lowered future earning capacity
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Property damage repair or replacement costs
2. Wrongful Death Damages
When a car accident victim is killed in an accident caused by the “neglect, carelessness, unskillfulness, or default” of another, certain surviving family members have the right to seek compensation through a wrongful death lawsuit. Though no amount of money can make up for a lost life, our Austin car accident lawyers can help you pursue this route toward a measure of justice and accountability. Damages available through a wrongful death lawsuit in Texas include:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Accident-related medical expenses
- Loss of income and benefits (e.g., pensions and retirement benefits) your loved one would have contributed to your family
- Loss of inheritance
- Mental pain and anguish experienced by surviving family
- Lost love, companionship, comfort, and society
3. Punitive Damages
Where compensatory damages are meant to reimburse injury victims, punitive damages are meant to punish at-fault defendants and deter future misbehavior (e.g., fraud, malice, and gross negligence). In Texas, punitive damages are also known as exemplary damages. Though courts are normally reluctant to award punitive damages, it can significantly raise the value of your case when available.
How Modified Comparative Negligence Law Affect Your Austin Car Crash Case
Texas courts use a modified comparative negligence system for car accident cases. This means that you can still recover damages for the accident even if you were partially at fault. However, this comes with two caveats. First, your percentage of fault must be no greater than 50 percent. Second, your compensation will be reduced proportionately to your degree of fault below 50 percent.
For example, suppose you sustain $1 million in damages after being struck by an 18-wheeler. The evidence shows that the truck driver failed to check their blind spots. However, you were going 5 miles over the speed limit. If a jury determines that you were 20 percent responsible, your compensation reduces to $800,000. However, if it decides that you were more than 50 percent responsible, it reduces to zero.
Our Austin car accident attorneys will vigorously defend you against inflated claims of shared negligence by the defendant or insurance company designed to prevent you from getting the compensation you need.
How Long Do You Have to File a Car Accident Claim in Austin?
All car accident claims are subject to strict filing deadlines known as statutes of limitations. The deadline for car accidents and wrongful death claims in Texas is two years. In car accident claims, the countdown begins on the date of injury. In wrongful death claims, the countdown begins on the date of death.
If you miss the filing deadline, your case will be dismissed in court. Though there are a few exceptions to this rule, it’s important to speak with an experienced car accident lawyer in Austin to determine if an exception applies to your specific case.
How Shamieh Law Can Help at Every Stage
Our Austin auto accident lawyers are available to support you through every stage of your car accident claim, starting with your initial consultation. During the consultation, we will make sure you know your full legal rights and options. There is no charge for the consultation, and you pay nothing unless we win your case. Among other things, our services include:
- Gathering Evidence – We will conduct a thorough, independent investigation of your accident and gather all available evidence, including medical records, police reports, footage of the scene, and more. We can also interview witnesses or medical experts to support your case.
- Determining Who Is Liable – We will determine who is liable for the accident using the available evidence. In most car accident cases, this turns out to be another driver. However, other parties could also be liable, such as a government entity responsible for road maintenance and manufacturers responsible for defective vehicle parts.
- Calculating Your Damages – We will use the available evidence to calculate your damages. Our attorneys will develop an in-depth understanding of how the accident unfolded and how it has impacted your life to determine the full and fair value of your claim. Of course, the other side is likely to contest our findings, but we are prepared to push back.
- Sending a Demand Letter – Next, we will send a demand letter to the liable party or, more likely, their insurer. This document will outline the argument supporting your claim for compensation. It will also include relevant supporting evidence.
- Negotiating a Settlement – The insurance company will evaluate the information provided in the demand letter. In most cases, they will proceed by making a settlement offer, which is nearly always less than what our clients deserve. Our skilled attorneys will negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf.
- Litigating in Court – If the insurance company refuses to make a fair settlement offer, we will then discuss with you the possibility of taking your case to court. This represents a significant escalation in the life of your case. At trial and in pre-trial hearings, we will use the evidence in your case, along with our skills, training, and resources, to make the strongest legal arguments possible on your behalf.
Pursuing compensation for your injuries after a car accident can be complex and overwhelming. At Shamieh Law, we’ll handle everything for you so you can focus on what matters most: your recovery. Call or contact our experienced team of Austin car accident lawyers today.
Causes of Car Accidents in Austin
The factors that contribute to car accidents in Austin typically fall under one of four categories—driving behaviors, driver-related factors, vehicle-related factors, and environmental factors. In many cases, a combination of factors is to blame. Below are some common causes of car accidents in Austin:
- Aggressive driving
- Running red lights and stop signs
- Following too closely
- Failing to yield
- Failing to signal or check mirrors when changing lanes
- Texting behind the wheel
- Drowsiness and fatigue
- Driving under the influence
- Medical episodes
- Inadequate maintenance
- Defective auto parts
- Mechanical problems
- Poor road lighting
- Adverse weather
- Dangerous intersection designs
- Hazards on the road, such as large objects or potholes
- Animals crossing the road
Common Types of Car Accident Injuries
Car accident injuries can range from minor to severe. Many are fatal. Common types of injuries include sustained in car accidents include:
- Fractured and broken bones
- Sprains, strains, tears, and bruises
- Nerve damage
- Spinal cord injuries, often resulting in paralysis
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Herniated discs
- Internal organ injuries
- Facial injuries
- Amputations and permanent disfigurement
What You Need to Know About Dealing with Insurance After a Crash
After you submit a claim with the liable party’s insurance company, an insurance adjuster will likely attempt to contact you. Keep in mind that insurance companies do not have your best interests in mind. They may push you to provide a recorded statement before hiring an attorney and use this information against you later.
You have the right to decline to answer the insurance company’s questions or provide a statement. If an insurance adjuster contacts you, refer them to contact your Austin car crash lawyer.
Recovering Compensation If the Other Driver Is Uninsured
In some cases, you may be unable to file an insurance claim because the liable party is uninsured or their coverage has lapsed. Whatever the reason for their lack of coverage, you may still be able to seek compensation for your injuries if you have uninsured motorist coverage as part of your car insurance policy.
If you have a case against an uninsured driver, our attorneys can help you identify all possible sources of compensation. Remember, there is no charge to have your case reviewed by a member of our team.
Our Austin Car Accident Attorneys Are Here for You
You do not need to navigate the aftermath of a car accident alone. By working with Shamieh Law, you can enjoy the peace of mind that comes with having a knowledgeable and experienced legal advocate fighting in your corner. Schedule your free consultation online or by calling us at 512-888-3333 to speak with one of our Austin car accident lawyers today. You pay nothing unless we win your case.