Louisiana Truck Accident Lawyer
Auto accidents involving commercial trucks often result in catastrophic injuries and even death. That is because large trucks, such as 18-wheelers, can weigh upwards of 80,000 pounds when fully loaded. If you were injured in a truck accident in Louisiana, the skilled Louisiana truck accident attorneys at Shamieh Law can help you secure the compensation you deserve. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation.
707 Dr Michael DeBakey Drive Suite A Lake Charles, LA 70601
Large commercial trucks, such as 18-wheelers and delivery trucks, are essential for transporting goods across the country. However, driver error, fatigue, distractions, and other factors can lead to devastating injuries when these oversized vehicles are involved in accidents. Truck accident victims do not need to face the legal aftermath of these incidents alone.
If you or a loved one were injured in a truck accident in Louisiana, the skilled truck accident lawyers at Shamieh Law are ready to defend your right to compensation. Our skilled team of Louisiana injury attorneys helps clients throughout the state, including in New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Shreveport, Lafayette, and Lake Charles.
Contact us today to schedule your free consultation with our knowledgeable and compassionate Louisiana truck accident attorneys. We are here to help.
Louisiana Truck Accident Statistics
Fatal truck accidents are more common than you may think. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the number of annual truck accident fatalities has been steadily increasing for over a decade across the country. In 2011, the number stood at 2,245. By 2021, it jumped to 3,217.
According to the National Safety Council, 126 of these fatal accidents took place on Louisiana roads in 2021. This represents 9.1 percent of the total fatal vehicle crashes in our state in that year. If you were injured in a truck accident anywhere in Louisiana, our skilled truck accident lawyers can help.
Why Trust Shamieh Law to Handle Your Louisiana Truck Accident?
At Shamieh Law, we focus on “Winning With Awareness,” which means we treat our clients and everyone involved in their cases with the dignity, empathy, and compassion they deserve. By forging strong professional relationships in this way, we position ourselves to secure the best results possible for injury victims who turn to us for help.
In addition to the excellent reviews we receive from our clients, our top-tier legal team has been recognized by:
- Super Lawyers
- Texas Lawyer
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100
- The Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- The American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys
Our founding partner, Ramez Shamieh, was born and raised in Louisiana and is proud to serve his community by defending the right of injury victims to full and fair compensation. Under his leadership, we have secured millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements on behalf of our clients.
Excellent Trucking Accident Case Results
It is our privilege and honor to defend the rights of injury victims throughout Louisiana and beyond. We understand how stressful handling the legal aftermath of a catastrophic accident can be, especially when it requires standing up to large trucking companies and their insurers. When working with us, you can rest assured that your case is in capable hands. Below are just a few of our remarkable truck accident case results:
- $1.6 million after a multi-vehicle 18-wheeler accident led to serious injuries requiring a laminotomy and discectomy.
- $1.325 million after a failure to yield resulted in a multi-vehicle 18-wheeler accident, leaving our clients with traumatic brain injuries.
- $1 million after a burst tire caused a loss of vehicle control, leading to a head-on semi-truck accident.
- $387,500 after an 18-wheeler rear-ended our client’s car, resulting in a spinal injury that required injections and vertebral fusion.
- $362,500 in a commercial case in which one 18-wheeler rear-ended another, resulting in injuries that required shoulder surgery.
- $285,000 after an 18-wheeler struck our client’s car when changing lanes without signaling, resulting in injuries that required cervical fusion.
- $275,000 after a driver was killed when an 18-wheeler turned in front of him (the compensation awarded to his loved ones was lowered due to Texas comparative negligence laws—more on this below).
- $250,000 after an 18-wheeler rear-ended our client’s car, resulting in injuries requiring a lumbar discectomy.
Our firm has secured over $100 million in settlements and verdicts for our clients, including numerous successful semi-truck accident cases in Louisiana. Learn more by visiting our case results page.
Satisfied Client Reviews and Testimonials
The consistency of our high-quality legal services has also laid the foundations for an excellent reputation among our many satisfied clients. The reviews below are from our Lake Charles Office Google Business Profile ratings:
- “I had never been involved in a car accident. I was in shock, clueless, in a lot of pain! SHAMIEH LAW was professional, and they helped me in every step along the way. They took care of my settlement. I’m pleased and satisfied with the results. I highly recommended them”.
- “Shamieh Law has been the most helpful law firm to me.. I don’t regret the decision of using them not one bit.. I’ve used them twice because the second accident, I knew who to call..”
- “Man I called every law firm to take my case and all of them said “no” and it was not “enough” so I called Shamieh Law, bro they didn’t hesitate to take my case and made sure I got every penny from the accident.”
We are proud of the glowing reviews we receive from them. You can see them for yourself by visiting our client testimonials page.
How Our Louisiana Truck Accident Attorneys Can Help
The Louisiana truck accident attorneys at Shamieh Law are passionate about helping accident victims seek justice and accountability for their injuries and losses. We are a full-service personal injury law firm with the skills and resources needed to take on big trucking companies and their insurers after Louisiana truck accidents. Our services include:
- A thorough, independent investigation of the crash
- Careful collection of evidence to support your case
- Deep investigation of the governing law
- Developing a legal strategy tailored to the unique circumstances of your case
- Calculating the full and fair value of your claim
- Negotiating with insurance adjusters on your behalf
- Representing you at trial if a fair out-of-court settlement cannot be reached
- Legal guidance and open communication throughout the life of your case
Who is Liable in a Louisiana Truck Accident?
Commercial truck accident claims can be particularly complex due to their high number of potential at-fault parties. Our accident attorneys can make sure no sources of liability are overlooked in your case. Among other individuals and entities, at-fault parties in a truck accident case may include:
- Truck drivers
- Trucking companies
- Cargo loaders
- Truck parts manufacturers and distributors
- Maintenance crews
- Other road users
Importantly, Louisiana applies the doctrine of comparative fault to personal injury cases, including those involving truck accidents. This means injured victims can still recover compensation even when they were partly responsible for the crash. Specifically, the governing statute provides as follows:
“If a person suffers injury, death, or loss as the result partly of [their] own negligence and partly as a result of the fault of another person or persons, the amount of damages recoverable shall be reduced in proportion to the degree or percentage of negligence attributable to the person suffering the injury, death, or loss.”
To make sure the at-fault parties in your case do not unfairly pass blame on to you, it is important to work with an experienced personal injury lawyer who can push back against unscrupulous defendants and their insurers. Shamieh Law has many years of experience handling truck accident lawsuits. We are ready to fight for every penny you are legally entitled to.
Common Causes of Louisiana Truck Accidents
At Shamieh Law, we understand that each accident is unique. That is why we develop personalized case strategies tailored to the circumstances and goals of each client. That said, many semi-truck accident cases do share common features, including underlying causes. Often, these include things like:
- Driver fatigue
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence
- Improperly loaded cargo
- Reckless driving
- Defective truck parts and equipment
- Poor maintenance
Our experienced legal team has the skills and resources to get to the bottom of what caused your accident. We will then use the evidence we collect to build the strongest case possible on your behalf.
Federal Trucking Laws Can Help Prove Negligence After a Truck Accident in Louisiana
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has strict rules and regulations in place to minimize the risk posed by truck accidents and keep drivers safe. For example, there is a maximum amount of time drivers are allowed to be on duty. Further, the legal blood alcohol content (BAC) limit is lower for truckers than most other drivers.
If a trucker ignores these rules, their violation goes a long way toward proving negligence in the event of an accident. Contact us to learn more about federal trucking laws and how they may apply to your case.
Compensation Available Through a Louisiana Truck Accident Lawsuit
If you successfully prove the at-fault party’s liability by a preponderance of the evidence, you can recover significant compensation for injuries and losses sustained in a Louisiana truck accident. The skilled legal team at Shamieh Law can help you pursue compensation for things like:
- The cost of past and future medical expenses, including doctor’s appointments, hospitalizations, medications, and physical therapy.
- The cost of long-term care and support, such as home health services, mobility devices, and accessibility upgrades to your home or vehicle.
- Lost wages and lowered future earning capacity if your injuries impact your ability to work.
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Wrongful death
Our attorneys can give you a good idea of how much your case may be worth in your free consultation. Contact us today to schedule yours.
Louisiana Statute of Limitations for Truck Accident Cases
All states limit the amount of time you have to file a personal injury lawsuit, including those involving truck accidents. In Louisiana, most truck crash victims only have one year from the date of their accident to claim compensation for their losses. Subject to very few exceptions, if you miss the deadline, you will lose your right to pursue compensation from the at-fault parties.
Steps To Take After Being Injured in a Louisiana Truck Accident
If you’re involved in a truck accident in Louisiana, here are some steps you can take to protect yourself and your right to compensation.
- Seek medical attention – In any accident, your physical safety and recovery are the top priority. Do not wait to seek emergency medical attention if needed. Further, you should see a doctor even if you do not think your injuries are serious. This will ensure that your medical records reflect all aspects of your injuries, including those that can take time to appear (e.g., whiplash and concussions). These records will become an evidentiary cornerstone of your case.
- Report the accident – Call the police so they can prepare a crash report. Ensure you request a case or accident report number from the officers dispatched to the crash site.
- Gather contact information – Collect important information from the truck driver, including their name, address, license plate number, driver’s license number, and insurance policy number. Also, try to find out their employer’s name, as well as the contact information of any witnesses to the accident.
- Gather evidence – Take photos and videos of the scene, including street signs, skid marks, weather conditions, vehicles involved in the crash, nearby surveillance equipment, signs of intoxication (e.g., empty alcohol containers), signs that the truck driver was on the job (e.g., uniforms and logos), and any other details that can be used to substantiate your claim.
- Beware of at-fault insurers – Insurers may twist your words to diminish the value of your case (e.g., by claiming you accepted responsibility for the accident). Tread carefully. Ideally, you will have no contact with them until after you consult with an attorney.
- Beware of your own insurer – Cooperate with your own insurance company but avoid giving too many details without your attorney present. Again, insurance companies work hard to limit payouts, and even your own insurer will not prioritize your interests over theirs.
- Avoid social media – Do not post about the accident on social media, as anything you post can be used against you in your lawsuit.
- Consult with an attorney – Contact Shamieh Law before signing any releases or accepting any settlement offers from insurers. More often than not, their initial offers will undervalue your claim, especially if they know you have not yet consulted with an attorney.
Consult With the Trusted Louisiana Truck Accident Lawyers at Shamieh Law
Because of their oversized proportions, large commercial trucks often cause catastrophic injuries when they are involved in accidents. You need an experienced lawyer after being injured in an accident, and the all-star team of truck accident attorneys at Shamieh Law can help. We have the skills and experience needed to secure fair compensation from the at-fault party.
Because we offer free, no-obligation consultations, there is no downside to having your case reviewed by a member of our team. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation with an experienced Louisiana truck accident attorney.