Dallas Slip and Fall Lawyer
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident in Dallas, the experienced legal team from Shamieh Law can help you identify the responsible parties, collect evidence, and fight for you in settlement negotiations and, if necessary, in court. Our Dallas slip and fall lawyers can help build your case and fight for the compensation you deserve at no up-front cost to you. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation.
1111 W. Mockingbird Lane Suite 1160 Dallas, TX 75247
Slip-and-fall accidents can result in severe injuries, overwhelming medical costs, and long-term disability. With the help of an experienced premises liability attorney, you can file a lawsuit against property owners who failed to address hazards on their premises or who did not adequately warn you of their existence.
The Dallas personal injury attorneys at Shamieh Law understand how stressful the aftermath of an accident can be. You deserve excellent legal representation on the road toward full and fair compensation, and we are here to help you through every step of the legal claims process. From gathering evidence to defending your right to compensation in court, you can count on our support.
We serve the community from our conveniently located Dallas law office near Love Field Airport. Contact Shamieh Law today to schedule a free consultation with an experienced slip and fall attorney near you.
Why Choose Us as Dallas Slip and Fall Accident Attorneys?
Our clients deserve nothing but the best. At Shamieh Law, we are committed to delivering the highest quality service to all our clients and maintaining the highest ethical standards in our practice.
That is why our firm philosophy is “Winning With Awareness.” This means we treat our clients and everyone involved in their cases with the dignity, compassion, and respect they deserve. In doing so, over time, we have built a robust professional network that positions us to secure optimal results in the wide variety of cases we handle.
Injury victims from across Texas have turned to us for help in their hour of need, and we understand how important securing the best case result possible is to them. We are proud of the reputation we have built among our many satisfied clients. Their reviews speak for themselves. You can see for yourself by visiting our client testimonials page.
Shamieh Law: An Award-Winning Dallas Injury Law Firm
We are confident in the high quality of our services. Our top-tier Dallas slip and fall attorneys have been recognized by numerous professional organizations and publications, including:
- Super Lawyers
- Texas Lawyer
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- The American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys
Our founding partner, Ramez Shamieh, also boasts a Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating, the highest recognition in the legal industry, for his professionalism and ethical practice. Under his leadership, we have helped hundreds of injury victims in our community exercise their legal right to compensation.
We understand and empathize with the challenges our clients face. We handle their cases like we would for members of our own families. At Shamieh Law, that is our standard. We have the advocacy skills, deep legal knowledge, passion, and work ethic needed to handle your case from start to finish.
Superb Slip and Fall Case Results
Of course, at the end of the day, our clients are interested in securing compensation for injuries and losses sustained at little to no fault of their own. We have a strong track record of successful slip and fall case results, some of which are listed below. Learn more by visiting our case results page.
- $900,000 – A slip and fall incident in a beauty store led to injuries requiring a lumbar fusion and spinal cord stimulator.
- $550,000 – A slip and fall incident caused by spilled water from a cooler at a work event led to traumatic brain injuries.
- $525,000 – A slip and fall injury caused by improper flooring material at a hotel required cervical fusion.
- $350,000 – A slip and fall accident at a fast food restaurant with wet floors and no warning sign caused a traumatic brain injury.
- $310,000 – A restaurant failed to clean up a food spill properly, causing slip and fall injuries that required a cervical discectomy and dental repair.
- $250,000 – A slip and fall incident at a shopping center resulted in a foot fracture.
- $245,000 – A trip-and-fall incident led to a broken jaw.
- $225,000 – A slip and fall accident at a gas station caused spinal injuries requiring a lumbar discectomy.
- $200,000 – A slip and fall accident left a victim with severe lumbar and shoulder injuries.
Our slip and fall lawyers in Dallas take great pride in helping our clients through some of the most difficult medical situations they are likely to face in their lives. From getting proper medical care to shepherding their case through the legal system, we stand by their side. If you were injured in a slip and fall accident, we are here to do the same for you.
Damages Available in a Texas Slip and Fall Lawsuit
Slip and fall victims injured at little to no fault of their own are entitled to economic and non-economic damages. Our legal team has the skill and resources to help you secure compensation for things like:
- The cost of past and future medical expenses, including doctor’s appointments, hospitalizations, medications, and physical therapy.
- The cost of long-term care and support, such as home health services, mobility devices, and accessibility upgrades to your home or vehicle.
- Lost wages and lowered future earning capacity if your injuries impact your ability to work.
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
In some cases, plaintiffs may also be eligible for punitive damages, otherwise known as exemplary damages, in Texas. The law reserves these damages as a form of punishment for defendants who acted with “fraud, malice, or gross negligence.” Punitive damages are rarely awarded. However, because this form of damages can significantly boost the value of your claim, our attorneys will pursue it vigorously on your behalf when available.
Who Could Be Held Liable for a Slip and Fall Accident?
Our Dallas slip and fall lawyers will thoroughly investigate your accident to identify all sources of liability in your case. Among other individuals and entities, liable parties in a slip and fall accident may include:
- Property owners
- Property managers
- Business owners
- Cleaning companies
- Security companies
What Do You Have to Prove in a Dallas Slip and Fall Lawsuit?
To recover compensation for a slip and fall accident, plaintiffs must normally prove premises liability. In Texas, property owners have a legal duty to keep their premises reasonably safe for lawful visitors. However, the specific level of that duty depends on the status of the slip and fall victim.
Visitors are legally classified into three categories—invitees, licensees, and trespassers.
- Invitees are people who enter a property with the express or implied permission of the owner, typically for a business purpose (e.g., patrons at a restaurant). They are owed the highest duty of care by property owners.
- Licensees are individuals with permission to enter a property, but usually for non-business social or recreational purposes (e.g., guests at a house party). They are owed the second-highest duty of care by property owners.
- Trespassers are illegal visitors to a property since they have no permission to be there at all. They are owed only a minimal duty of care. Basically, property owners need only refrain from intentionally harming trespassers, though the attractive nuisance doctrine creates an exception for vulnerable children.
Setting this legal terminology aside, what does a property owner need to do to uphold their duty of reasonable care? In most cases, they simply need to regularly check their property for hazards, remove them, and/or warn lawful visitors of their presence. Failure to do so can lead to premises liability in the event of an accident.
What if I Am Partially to Blame for My Slip and Fall Accident?
Under the comparative negligence law in place in Texas, slip and fall accident victims can only collect damages if they are 50 percent or less responsible for their accident. Further, available compensation will be reduced proportionately to the plaintiff’s degree of fault beneath that threshold.
For example, if you were 20 percent responsible for an accident in which you suffered $100,000 in damages, you could collect only $80,000. That is why it is essential to work closely with a skilled Dallas slip and fall attorney who can push back when defendants wrongly try to pin the blame on you.
How Long Do I Have to Sue After a Slip and Fall Accident in Dallas?
You have two years from the date of your accident to sue for a slip and fall injury in Texas. Judges can extend the deadline under very limited circumstances (e.g., if the plaintiff is a minor or mentally incapacitated). Further, if your slip and fall accident occurred on government property, you must provide notice of your intent to sue within six months after the accident.
Failure to comply with these strictly enforced deadlines nearly always results in your case being dismissed in court. Therefore, do not wait to have your slip and fall case reviewed by an attorney.
What Causes Slip and Fall Accidents in Dallas?
Many hazards can lead to a slip and fall accident. Some of the most common causes of these accidents include:
- Improper footwear
- Loose tiles, floorboards, or carpeting
- Poor lighting
- Poorly maintained handrails and guardrails
- Slippery or cluttered floors
- Stray power cords and other tripping hazards
- Uneven flooring and sidewalks
If you were hurt in a slip and fall accident, the skilled Dallas personal injury lawyers at Shamieh Law can help you secure compensation from the at-fault party. Contact us today.
Where Do Slip and Fall Accidents Happen Most in Dallas?
Virtually any property can give rise to a slip and fall accident if the owner does not properly maintain it. Common sites for these accidents include:
- Amusement parks
- Apartment complexes and condominiums
- Gas stations and convenience stores
- Hotels, casinos, and resorts
- Medical treatment facilities
- Nursing homes and assisted living facilities
- Old buildings
- Outdoor decks and patios
- Parking lots and garages
- Restaurants and bars
- Shopping malls
- Stadiums and arenas
- Stairs, escalators, and elevators
- Swimming pools
- Theaters and music halls
- Unfinished basements
Common Injuries Sustained in Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip-and-fall accidents can result in a wide variety of injuries ranging from minor to severe. In the most serious cases, victims die from their wounds. Common injuries sustained in slip and fall accidents include:
- Broken and fractured bones
- Cuts and puncture wounds
- Emotional distress
- Head and neck injuries
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Strains, sprains, tears, and bruises
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Wrongful death
Case Study: Slip and Fall Accident Makes It to the Texas Supreme Court
In 2009, a Kroger maintenance worker slipped and badly hurt himself on a wet bathroom floor his supervisor told him to clean. The store’s policy required using a floor cleaner that soaked up spills. However, the cleaner normally used was available that day.
The injured worker took Kroger to court (the company was not part of the state workers’ compensation system). He argued that Kroger was negligent because management knew of the dangerous conditions he was being asked to clean in.
The Texas Supreme Court ruled that, though worker knew of the danger he was facing, Kroger also knew it was putting him at risk of injury and did not take steps to make the bathroom area safe. Therefore, it was liable.
What To Do After a Slip and Fall Accident in Dallas?
There are several steps you can take after a slip and fall to protect your well-being, as well as your right to compensation. These include the following:
- Seek medical attention – Your health and well-being are the top priority. Seek medical attention as soon as possible, and remember that some injuries can take time to manifest (e.g., internal bleeding and organ damage). Keep all medical records and don’t miss any doctor’s appointments.
- Be careful what you say – Don’t make any statements to people on the scene about your accident. They may twist your words to claim you were responsible for the slip and fall incident.
- Gather contact information – Get the names and contact information of the building manager, property owner, and witnesses.
- Document the scene – Take photos and videos of the area where you were injured. If you fell due to a hazard, be sure your pictures capture the hazard and lack of warning. If there are security cameras nearby, make sure you document their location.
- Hold on to physical evidence – Keep the shoes and clothing you wore at the time of the accident. Have someone take a picture of you wearing them at the scene. This can help defend you against claims that you contributed to your fall.
- Beware of insurers – Avoid talking to insurance adjusters without your lawyer. Insurance adjusters work to minimize payouts and may try to get you to accept fault for your accident or accept a lowball settlement offer.
- Consult with an attorney – Call Shamieh Law immediately for a free, no-obligation consultation. We will make sure you know your full legal rights and options.
Contact Shamieh Law for Help Following a Slip and Fall Accident in Dallas, TX
If you or a loved one were injured in a slip and fall accident in Dallas, you need an experienced premises liability attorney to investigate the incident and build a strong claim for compensation on your behalf. Our skilled Dallas slip and fall lawyers have the experience and resources needed to handle your case from start to finish at no up-front cost to you.
When you work with us, you can rest assured your case is in capable hands. Contact Shamieh Law today to schedule your free case review. You pay nothing unless we win your case.
- Dallas Car Accidents
- Dallas Truck Accidents
- Dallas Bus Accidents
- Dallas Wrongful Death Accidents
- Dallas Boating Accidents
- Dallas Slip and Fall Accidents
- Dallas Dog Bite Lawyer
- Dallas Pedestrian Accidents
- Dallas Aviation Accidents
- Dallas Workplace Accidents
- Dallas Uber & Lyft Accidents
- Dallas Train Accidents
- Dallas Construction Accidents
- Dallas Nursing Home Abuse
- Dallas Hit and Run Accidents
- Dallas Industrial Accidents
- Dallas Oil Refinery Accidents
- Dallas DRAM Shop Liability
- Drunk Driving Accidents
- Daycare Abuse
- Defective Products