Texas Oil Field and Oil Rig Accident Lawyer
Working on oil rigs and oil fields comes with a significant risk of injury. Elevated platforms, heavy equipment, machinery, fires, chemical exposure, and countless other factors contribute to the risk of injury or death. If you were injured or lost a loved one in an oil rig or oil field accident, the Texas oil field accident lawyers at Shamieh Law can help you fight for the compensation you deserve. Call us today at 866-912-8922 to schedule your free consultation.
3800 North Lamar Blvd Suite #200 Austin, Texas 78756
Accidents and injuries on oil rigs and oil fields are all too common. Injured victims in these accidents may be entitled to significant compensation and should not wait to consult a lawyer.
Our Texas personal injury attorneys have over a decade of experience helping victims of oil field accidents across the state. We can help ensure that you know your legal rights, investigate the cause of your accident, determine who is liable, gather all available evidence, and build a strong claim for compensation on your behalf.
Contact us today to schedule your free consultation with an experienced oil field accident attorney. Shamieh Law is here to help.
Why Work with Our Texas Oil Field Accident Attorneys?
At Shamieh Law, we are committed to “Winning With Awareness.” This means that we strive to achieve excellent results for our clients while maintaining the highest level of professionalism. It also means that we treat everyone involved in the cases we handle with dignity and respect. From the moment clients step through our doors, they can count on us to handle their cases with utmost care and attention. We stand by their side from start to finish.
We believe our commitment to providing excellent legal services sets us apart. At Shamieh Law, every client is treated like family, and we take enormous pride in helping them get back on their feet after being injured in an accident. From helping them secure proper medical care to arguing their case in court, we are here to help.
Our Texas oil field accident attorneys have the experience, advocacy skills, deep legal knowledge, and work ethic to handle your case. Let us fight for you.
A Top-Tier Firm: Excellent Case Results, Client Reviews, and Professional Reputation
For over a decade, our oil field injury lawyers in Texas have worked hard to provide the excellent legal representation injured Texans deserve. Our case results speak for themselves:
- $1 million for our client who sustained injuries and property damage when a crane collapsed in a storm.
- $1 million for an underage resident of an apartment building who was sexually assaulted by construction workers hired at the apartment complex.
- $2 million for a client who needed a double knee replacement after a construction worker caused an accident while talking on his phone.
- $9.5 million for the family of a worker who fell 30 feet to their death due to lack of training and inadequate safety equipment.
At Shamieh Law, nothing fulfills us like seeing our clients walk away pleased with our services and the results achieved in their cases. Our skilled oil rig accident attorneys are extremely proud of the reputation we have built among our clients and in the legal community.
Our client testimonials strengthen our commitment to providing excellent service. We have also been recognized by numerous professional organizations and publications, including:
- Super Lawyers
- Texas Lawyer
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100
- The Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- The American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys
How Our Texas Oil Rig Injury Lawyers Can Help You
Oil field accident cases are complex. When our Texas oil rig injury attorneys handle your case, we take the time to listen to your story to fully understand the impact of the accident on your life. Among other things, our attorneys will:
- Make sure you understand your full legal rights and options
- Gather evidence, including company safety records and incident reports
- Interview witnesses and experts
- Investigate past safety violations at your worksite (e.g., OSHA violations)
- Identify all potential at-fault parties in your case
- Prepare for depositions and court appearances
- Prepare all correspondence, filings, and other documents in your case
- Make sure no deadlines are missed
- Negotiate vigorously for a fair out-of-court settlement
- Take your case to court if a fair settlement cannot be reached
Your dedicated legal team at Shamieh Law will work tirelessly on your behalf. At every stage of your lawsuit, you can count on us to put your best interest first.
Common Causes of Oil Field and Oil Rig Accidents in Texas
All too often, oil field and oil rig hazards give rise to serious accidents, many times leaving dozens of people injured or dead. In many cases, the severity of oil field and oil rig accidents is worsened when workers are deployed in remote areas with no one around to help and no proper equipment to handle hazards (e.g., equipment to put out fires).
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the most frequent causes of fatal accidents in oil and gas extraction between 2014 and 2019 were:
- Vehicle incidents (26.8 percent)
- Contact injuries (21.7 percent)
- Explosions (14.5 percent)
The CDC further reports that “approximately three-fourths of fatalities identified . . . were among contractors . . . [and] 20 percent of cases included workers who were working alone.” Other common types of accidents in oil fields identified by OSHA include:
- “Caught-in” and “caught-between” accidents
- Slip-and-fall accidents
- Gas and chemical exposure, especially in confined spaces
- Explosions and fires
Improper training, faulty equipment, fatigue, lack of safety gear, and poor safety procedures aggravate things further. Remember, if you were injured in an oil field or oil rig accident at little to no fault of your own, you are likely entitled to significant legal compensation.
Our Texas oil field injury attorneys know how dangerous these worksites can be. We also understand the financial, physical, and emotional burdens injury victims and their families often face in the aftermath of an accident. Our compassionate legal team is here to help.
Common Injuries Sustained in Oil Field Injury Accidents
Injuries sustained in oil rigs and oil field accidents range from minor to devastatingly serious. Many are fatal. Common injuries we see in the cases we handle include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken and fractured bones
- Cuts and puncture wounds
- Sprains and strains
- Burns (e.g., thermal, electrical, and chemical)
- Spinal cord injuries (e.g., full or partial paralysis)
- Head and neck injuries (e.g., whiplash)
- Internal bleeding
- Wrongful death
What Compensation Can You Recover Through a Texas Oil Field Accident Lawsuit?
You can collect economic and non-economic damages, collectively known as compensatory damages, for injuries sustained in a Texas oil field accident. These damages are meant to compensate you for things like:
- Medical expenses
- Rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages
- Lowered future earning potential
- Legal expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Lowered quality of life
- Emotional distress
Further, if you lost a loved one in a Texas oil field or oil rig accident, you can file a wrongful death lawsuit against the responsible party. In addition to providing some relief from the economic impact losing your loved one has on your family, a wrongful death lawsuit allows you to seek compensation for their lost companionship, comfort, and society, as well as your mental anguish.
What About Punitive Damages?
You may also be entitled to punitive damages, known as exemplary damages, in Texas. Though rare, this form of damages may be available in cases involving gross negligence, fraud, or malice on the part of the defendant. Unlike compensatory damages, punitive damages are awarded as a form of punishment for serious misbehavior.
When available in your case, you can count on our Texas oil field accident lawyers to pursue punitive damages vigorously on your behalf.
Who Can Be Held Liable in an Oil Rig or Oil Field Accident Lawsuit?
Extracting oil from the ground is no easy feat. These kinds of projects normally require collaboration between many individuals and entities. On the one hand, this means that oil field and oil rig accidents can generate very complex litigation. On the other hand, it means that one case may involve multiple sources of liability. They may include:
- Oil companies
- Property owners
- Shipping and trucking companies
- Contractors or subcontractors
- Regulatory agencies
- Equipment manufacturers and distributors
- Operators of machines, drills, vehicles, and other equipment
- Maintenance companies
Figuring out who is liable in an oil field or oil rig accident can be challenging. Our Texas oil rig accident lawyers have what it takes to identify all sources of liability in your case and pursue them vigorously on your behalf.
Proving Negligence in a Texas Oil Field or Oil Rig Accident Lawsuit
Most personal injury cases revolve around the legal concept of negligence. To prove that someone else was responsible, your lawyer must prove four legal elements are more likely true than not. They are as follows:
- The defendant owed a duty of care to avoid harming others.
- The defendant breached their duty of care.
- The plaintiff was injured or suffered a loss.
- The plaintiff’s injuries and losses were caused by the defendant’s breach of duty.
Importantly, Texas courts also deploy the doctrine of comparative negligence when evaluating personal injury liability. Under this doctrine, you can collect damages if you are 50 percent or less responsible for your accident. Further, your compensation will be reduced in proportion to your degree of fault. For example, if your damages are $1 million and you were 10 percent responsible, you can collect $900,000.
Defendants and their insurers will try to show that you were more than 50 percent responsible for your accident so they can escape liability. Therefore, never talk to the at-fault party’s insurance company or lawyers without your own attorney present. Their job is to reduce the value of your claim or deny it altogether. Anything you say to them can be used against you.
Seven Key Pieces of Evidence in Texas Oil Rig Accident Cases
Again, you must prove your case by a preponderance of the evidence, which simply means proving that the defendant was more likely than not responsible for your accident and injuries. Important evidence in your case may include:
- Photos and videos of the scene of the accident. If the parties with access to surveillance footage refuse to turn it over, your attorney can ask the presiding judge in your case to intervene.
- Statements from witnesses to the accident and any inappropriate practices common at the worksite.
- Company logs recording who else was involved in your accident.
- Expert testimony from mechanics, doctors, chemists, accident reconstruction specialists, and more.
- Safety reports noting the presence of flammable or explosive materials.
- Medical treatment and billing records.
- Detailed records of expenses and lost wages related to your accident.
Our oil field accident lawyers in Texas can conduct a thorough, independent investigation of your accident to gather all available evidence. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation.
How Long Do You Have to File a Personal Injury Claim After Being Injured on an Oil Field or Oil Rig?
The Texas statute of limitations for most personal injury cases, including those involving accidents on oil fields and oil rigs, is two years from the date of injury or death. A judge can extend the statutory time limit for minors and for people of unsound mind. Your attorney can also ask a judge to extend the limit if you were unaware of your injuries until a later date. Further, the statutory countdown pauses while a defendant leaves the state.
However, before relying on any of these exceptions, it is wise to consult with an attorney to make sure they apply to your case. Remember, failure to file before the correct deadline will result in your case being dismissed in court.
Schedule Your Free Consultation with Our Texas Oil Field Accident Lawyers Today
At Shamieh Law, we proudly help injury victims throughout Texas fight for justice and fair compensation after they are injured in accidents they did not cause. If you were injured in a Texas oil rig or oil field accident, we are here to help.
We take cases on a contingency basis, meaning that you pay nothing unless we win your case. Further, we offer free, no-obligation consultations, so there is no downside to having one of our attorneys review your case. Contact us today to schedule yours. Our Texas offices are listed below, and we would love for you to stop by.