Dallas Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer
Drunk drivers endanger themselves and everyone on the road. If you or a loved one were injured by a drunk driver, do not wait to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney. The drunk driving accident attorneys at Shamieh Law have the skills and experience needed to help you on the path toward full and fair compensation. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation with a knowledgeable and compassionate DUI lawyer in Dallas.
1111 W. Mockingbird Lane Suite 1160 Dallas, TX 75247
As we all know, drunk driving is a reckless crime that endangers the lives of all road users, including those of drunk drivers. Yet, many remain undeterred. If you or a loved one was injured in a drunk driving accident, do not wait to have your case reviewed by an attorney.
The skilled legal team at Shamieh Law can help you pursue justice and accountability. Our Dallas drunk driving accident lawyers have secured millions on behalf of our clients, including many injured by intoxicated drivers. We know how to hold these reckless individuals accountable for their actions. We will put all our resources to work in pursuit of the full and fair compensation you deserve.
You Can Trust Our Drunk Driving Accident Attorneys to Skillfully Handle Your Case
What Our Dallas DUI Accident Lawyers Can Do for You
Personal injury lawsuits are complex and require the attention of a skilled attorney. When you partner with Shamieh Law, you can expect us to:
- Make sure you don’t pay out of pocket for injuries you didn’t cause.
- Inform you on what to expect throughout the legal process.
- Evaluate your drunk driving case to calculate how much you are owed.
- Investigate the accident and gather all available evidence to prove your claim.
- File your drunk driving accident claim and other required documents before all-important deadlines.
- Handle all communication and negotiations with insurance companies to ensure you receive full and fair compensation.
- Reject insufficient settlement offers from the insurance company and take your case to trial.
Our Drunk Driving Accident Case Results
Our founder, attorney Ramez Shamieh, is one of the few attorneys selected as a member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. He leads our all-star team of injury attorneys. Below are some of the results we have achieved on behalf of our clients under his leadership. Visit our case results page to see more.
- $1 million settlement – Our client suffered a broken femur, disc herniations, and a traumatic brain injury in a drunk driving accident.
- $450,000 settlement – A family of three, including an infant, were victims of a three-car crash caused by a drunk driver.
- $325,000 settlement – Our client suffered major injuries from riding in a vehicle with a drunk driver who pulled out in front of a semi-truck.
Who Can You Sue in a Drunk Driving Accident Lawsuit in Dallas?
Drunk drivers are the most obvious liable parties in DWI injury claims, but they are not always the only ones. Sometimes, negligent third parties can also be held responsible for a drunk driving accident, including:
- The driver’s employer – If a drunk driver hits you while working in the course and scope of their job (e.g., when a delivery driver drops off a package) their employer may be on the hook for compensating you.
- The establishment that sold alcohol to the driver – In some cases, the Texas Dram Shop Act allows injury victims to sue alcohol vendors for injuries if they sold the alcohol to someone visibly intoxicated who later caused an accident.
- Social hosts – An event host or party planner can also be held liable for drunk driving accident injuries caused by an unrelated minor if the host or planner served them alcohol.
- Car manufacturer or seller – A manufacturer or distributor can also be held liable for injuries sustained in an accident if there were defects in their products, such as faulty safety belts and airbags.
What Compensation Can I Recover in an Accident Caused by Drunk Drivers?
The value of your personal injury claim after being hit by a drunk driver can vary widely based on the extent and severity of your injuries and losses. That said, there are three main types of compensation you can receive through a personal injury lawsuit:
- Economic damages – This form of damages compensates for financial losses you incurred from the accident, including medical treatment, lost wages, lowered earning potential, and property damage.
- Non-economic damages – This compensates for the intangible or non-quantifiable impact the accident had on your life, including physical pain, mental suffering, emotional distress, and lowered quality of life.
- Punitive damages – Also known as exemplary damages, punitive damages are awarded to deter future reckless behavior and to punish drunk drivers for gross negligence.
How Do You Prove Liability in a Drunk Driving Accident Lawsuit?
Of course, to secure compensation through a lawsuit, you will need evidence to establish the at-fault party’s responsibility. In some cases, this can be difficult (e.g., if the police did not immediately report to the scene). In others, it can be relatively straightforward (e.g., if a traffic or security camera recorded the accident).
Importantly, you must prove your claim by a preponderance of the evidence. Essentially, this means you must prove that the defendant(s) was more likely than not responsible for the accident.
More specifically, in most personal injury cases, you must prove that the at-fault party was negligent, meaning that they failed to take reasonable care to avoid harming others through their actions. However, because driving while intoxicated is a clear violation of the duty of care, your attorney may be able to argue that they were negligent per se.
Having successfully handled numerous drunk driving accidents, our DUI accident injury lawyers know how to move your claim from start to finish. When working with us, you can rest assured that your case is in capable hands.
How Long Do You Have to Sue a Drunk Driver in Dallas?
In Texas, the deadline to file a drunk driving accident lawsuit is set at two years from the date of injury or death.
While there are a few exceptions to this strictly enforced rule, failure to file before the deadline normally results in your case being dismissed in court. Therefore, getting in touch with a drunk driving injury attorney as early as possible is the best way to get your case started on a strong footing.
Common Injuries Caused by Accidents with Drunk Drivers
Drunk driving is a serious problem in Texas and throughout the country. In 2022 alone, Dallas reported 220 suspected serious injuries and 108 fatalities resulting from DUI accidents. Injuries commonly reported in incidents like these include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Neck and back injuries
- Soft-tissue injuries, such as sprains, strains, tears, and bruises
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Amputations and permanent disability
- Wrongful death
Texas Drunk Driving Laws
Drunk driving laws in Texas define intoxication as having a blood alcohol concentration above 0.08. However, being physically and mentally impaired by alcohol or other mind-altering substances behind the wheel, even if you do not reach the 0.08 threshold, can still count as driving while intoxicated.
Driving under the influence is a criminal offense initially categorized as a misdemeanor. However, depending on the circumstances, it can be quickly elevated to a felony. For example, having multiple DWIs or driving drunk with a child passenger can result in a felony charge.
Of course, criminal prosecution does not address the pain suffered by accident victims. That’s why the law allows you to take civil action against negligent or reckless drivers. After filing a claim and successfully proving the defendant’s liability for a DUI crash, a court can order that they pay you compensation.
Contact the Dallas Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers at Shamieh Law for a Free Case Evaluation
If you were involved in an accident with a drunk driver, do not wait to contact an attorney as soon as possible. The sooner you do, the more time they will have to build a strong personal injury claim on your behalf. Remember that time is of the essence.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with the award-winning team at Shamieh Law. Our Dallas drunk driving accident attorneys are ready to evaluate your case, gather evidence, investigate the governing law, negotiate with insurers, and take your case to court when necessary. We are here to help.
- Dallas Car Accidents
- Dallas Truck Accidents
- Dallas Bus Accidents
- Dallas Wrongful Death Accidents
- Dallas Boating Accidents
- Dallas Slip and Fall Accidents
- Dallas Dog Bite Lawyer
- Dallas Pedestrian Accidents
- Dallas Aviation Accidents
- Dallas Workplace Accidents
- Dallas Uber & Lyft Accidents
- Dallas Train Accidents
- Dallas Construction Accidents
- Dallas Nursing Home Abuse
- Dallas Hit and Run Accidents
- Dallas Industrial Accidents
- Dallas Oil Refinery Accidents
- Dallas DRAM Shop Liability
- Drunk Driving Accidents
- Daycare Abuse
- Defective Products