Dallas Boat Accident Lawyer
Boating accidents can lead to severe injuries, overwhelming medical bills, lost time at work, and more. The Dallas boating accident attorneys at Shamieh Law are ready to investigate your case, determine who was liable for your accident, calculate the compensation you are owed, and fight vigorously on your behalf. We have the skills and experience necessary to handle your case from start to finish. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation.
1111 W. Mockingbird Lane Suite 1160 Dallas, TX 75247
After being injured in a Dallas boating accident, you may face significant medical expenses, physical pain, and emotional trauma. If someone else’s negligence caused the boating accident, you may be entitled to financial compensation, not to mention justice and accountability.
The Dallas boat accident attorneys at Shamieh Law are here to help you every step of the way on the road toward full and fair compensation. Our legal team has the skills and resources needed to represent you in complex boating accident cases.
Let us put our extensive experience helping injury victims throughout Texas to work for you. Our Dallas office is conveniently located near Love Field Airport. Contact us today to get started with a free, no-obligation case review.
Our Dallas Boat Accident Lawyers Will Fight for You
At Shamieh Law, we care deeply about the well-being of our clients and community. We focus on “Winning With Awareness,” which allows us to deliver both excellent service and results. When working with us, you can rest assured that your case is being handled with utmost care by a seasoned professional.
We will treat everyone involved in your case with utmost dignity and respect. Our successful track record shows you can treat clients like family, maintain high ethical standards, and still get excellent results. As attorneys, we are proud of our communication skills, deep knowledge of the law, strong work ethic, and dedication to serving others in need.
We understand the challenges our clients face and take the time to make sure all their questions and concerns are addressed. In settlement negotiations and in the courtroom, we take pride in defending their right to justice, accountability, and compensation.
The all-star team of attorneys at Shamieh Law is well-respected within the legal community. We have been recognized by numerous organizations and publications, including Super Lawyers, Texas Lawyer, and The National Trial Lawyers Top 100. Our founding partner, Ramez Shamieh, has earned a 2023 AV Preeminent peer rating for ethics and professionalism from Martindale-Hubbell.
Our holistic and unique approach to the law sets our Dallas boating injury lawyers apart from other firms. We are ready to review your case and provide you with high-quality representation at no upfront cost to you. You pay nothing unless we win your case.
Case Results and Client Reviews
The personal injury attorneys at Shamieh Law have been helping injury victims for over a decade. Through hard work and deep knowledge of the law, we consistently secure excellent results on their behalf. Over the years, we have secured millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts. Visit our case results page to learn more.
Further, we are very proud of the reputation we have built with our clients. You do not have to take our word for it. Their testimonials speak for themselves. Our clients have praised us for:
- Being “incredibly responsive, always available, and on top of everything.”
- Having “unwavering dedication” and “a wealth of knowledge and experience.”
- Providing emotional support with “the utmost respect and kindness.”
- Having “a commitment to do right” for clients.
Proving Negligence in a Dallas Boating Accident Lawsuit
Most personal injury cases, including those involving boat accidents, are based on the legal concept of negligence, which simply refers to the failure to use reasonable care to avoid causing harm to others. To successfully show negligence, your Dallas boating accident lawyer must prove four elements:
- The defendant had a duty to use reasonable care to avoid harming you,
- The defendant breached their duty,
- You suffered an injury or loss, and
- Your injury or loss was caused by the defendant’s breach of duty.
Boat operators should remember that they are required to render aid following a boating accident. This means they must save people involved and minimize danger unless doing so puts their own vessel, passengers, or crew at risk. They must also give their name, address, and vessel identification information in writing to anyone injured or who sustained property damage.
If you were injured in a boating accident due to someone’s negligence or failure to render aid, contact the award-winning legal team at Shamieh Law for help. We can make sure you know your full legal rights and options on the path toward compensation.
Comparative Negligence in Dallas Boating Accident Cases
Importantly, Texas courts deploy the legal doctrine of comparative negligence in personal injury cases. Under this doctrine, injured plaintiffs can recover compensation so long as they are not more than 50 percent at fault for the underlying cause of an accident. Further, their compensation is reduced proportionately to their percentage of fault under 50 percent.
For example, if you were involved in an accident and sustained $100,000 in damages but were 20 percent to blame, your compensation would be reduced to $80,000. However, if you were more than 50 percent responsible for the boating accident, you cannot collect compensation from the other party, regardless of the extent of your injuries and property damage.
This means that it is essential that you work closely with a skilled personal injury attorney who can push back when the at-fault party tries to pin the blame on you. Shamieh Law is here to help.
How Long Do You Have to File a Boat Accident Lawsuit in Dallas?
As with most personal injury cases, you have two years to file a lawsuit following a boating accident in Dallas. The same deadline applies when someone is killed in an accident, thereby entitling their family to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
Sometimes, there are applicable exceptions to these strictly enforced deadlines. For example, people who were minors at the time of their accident or who were not mentally sound can ask a judge for an extension. Similarly, the two-year countdown is paused while the responsible party is outside of the state.
However, before relying on any potential exceptions, it is best to consult with an attorney. This is because failure to file before the correct deadline nearly always results in your case being dismissed in court, thereby eliminating your right to compensation. Speaking to an attorney early on is the best way to avoid this result.
How Much Can I Get for My Dallas Boating Accident Injury?
It can be difficult to predict the amount you may ultimately receive for a Dallas boating accident injury, and it is impossible to guarantee. That said, our attorneys can give you a good idea of how much your case may be worth after reviewing your accident in a free consultation. The amount of compensation you receive will depend on a variety of factors, including:
- The extent and severity of your injuries
- Medical treatment and rehabilitation costs
- Lost earning potential
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Property damage repair and replacement costs
Remember, the other side will do everything possible to minimize the value of your claim. They may contest the seriousness of your injuries or question the reality of your pain and suffering. Therefore, you need an experienced attorney on your side who can push back on your behalf.
At Shamieh Law, our Dallas boating accident lawyers will thoroughly investigate your case, calculate your damages, and work hard to secure fair compensation from the at-fault party. We will not allow culpable defendants and their insurers to strong-arm or trick you into abandoning your case or accepting a lowball settlement.
Boat Accident Statistics
According to the U.S. Coast Guard, there were 4,040 recreational boating accidents in the United States in 2022. These accidents resulted in 636 deaths, 2,222 injuries, and $63 million in property damage.
The most common vessels involved in boating accidents were open motorboats (47 percent), personal watercraft (18 percent), and cabin motorboats (14 percent). Though canoes and kayaks were not ranked in the top three for number of accidents, these vessels were nonetheless associated with the second-highest number of deaths.
Many factors can conspire to give rise to boating accidents. In particular, alcohol use is a leading cause of boat accidents. Just like in cars, alcohol can cause inattention and inhibition, which can lead boat operators to navigate unsafely.
The Dallas area boasts multiple recreational waterways, such as Lake Grapevine and Lake Lewisville. These bodies of water offer plenty of opportunities for boating, fishing, and cruising in personal watercraft. When enjoying these activities, we encourage you to always take maximum safety precautions.
If you are involved in a boating accident, contact the trustworthy Dallas boating accident attorneys at Shamieh Law. We will help you identify all liable parties and fight for your right to compensation. Throughout your boating accident lawsuit, you can count on us to stand by your side.
Types of Boating Accidents
Boating accidents can occur on ferries, cruise ships, private boats, jet skis, canoes, or any other type of watercraft. Ultimately, each accident needs to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis by an experienced attorney. Common boating accidents we see include:
- Contact with propellers
- Slip-and-fall accidents on boat decks
- Collisions with other vessels, docks, and hazards
- Onboard fires or dangerous releases of steam
- Going overboard and drowning
- Capsizing and sinking
- Running aground
No matter the circumstances, boating accidents can lead to severe injuries and sometimes even death. If you are injured in this kind of accident, seek medical attention immediately. Your next step should be to contact a Dallas boating injury attorney. The legal team at Shamieh Law is here to help you sort out the aftermath and secure the compensation you are entitled to.
Causes of Boating Accidents in Dallas
When out on the water, all sorts of things can come together to cause an accident. Common causes of boating accidents we see in our personal injury practice include:
- Boating under the influence
- Ignoring weather warnings
- Hitting a wave at high speed
- Lack of safety equipment, such as life jackets
- Inexperience and lack of training
- Disobeying safety rules and regulations
- Mechanical failures
At Shamieh Law, our Dallas boat accident attorneys are ready to conduct a thorough, independent investigation of your accident, determine the cause, help you identify who is legally responsible, and build the strongest claim possible on your behalf.
Common Injuries in Dallas Boating Accidents
The value of your claim will vary widely depending on the seriousness of your injuries. Some common boating injuries we see include:
- Broken and fractured bones
- Propellor cuts or other lacerations
- Sprains, strains, tears, and bruises
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
- Concussions and other traumatic brain injuries
- Hypothermia, hypoxia, or brain damage from drowning
In all cases, victims injured at little to no fault of their own deserve excellent legal representation, regardless of the extent of their injuries and the monetary worth of their claim. At Shamieh Law, our Dallas boating injury lawyers are proud to provide this representation to each and every client who walks through our doors.
Seven Steps to Take After a Boat Accident
There are certain steps you should take after a boating accident to protect your health and right to legal compensation. Take the following steps after being injured in a boating accident:
- Get medical attention immediately – Do not wait to seek medical attention. Some injuries take a while to present themselves, and evidence that you sought care right away will bolster your claim for damages. Your doctor will provide treatment and prepare medical treatment and billing records that will later serve as important evidence in your case.
- Take pictures and videos of the scene – Collect footage of your injuries, damage to all involved watercraft, evidence of intoxication, and anything else that may shed light on the accident.
- Collect contact and insurance information – Gather names, phone numbers, and addresses of the boat owner, operator, and witnesses to the accident. Also, if possible, get the insurance policy number from the boat owner or operator.
- Keep meticulous records – This includes all medical records and reports from the police or game wardens. Regulations in Texas require vessel operators involved in accidents to make a report to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department or a local law enforcement agency within 30 days of the accident. The report must be made within 48 hours if the accident resulted in a death.
- Be careful with insurance companies – Insurance adjusters strive to save their companies money by denying as many claims as possible. Therefore, be careful what you say before consulting with an attorney.
- Avoid posting on social media – Again, insurers want to deny or reduce the value of your claim. Therefore, avoid sharing too much on social media, as adjusters sometimes scour your public accounts for anything they can use against you.
- Consult with a Dallas boating accident attorney at Shamieh Law – It is important to get started on your case before evidence disappears and while witness memories are still fresh. Further, getting started sooner than later will ensure that you do not miss the two-year deadline set by the statute of limitations.
Contact a Dallas Boating Accident Lawyer at Shamieh Law
Recreational activities on the water can be great fun for friends and family. However, these kinds of activities occasionally result in serious accidents and injuries. If you are involved in this kind of accident, you need a knowledgeable and experienced attorney to investigate your claim and argue vigorously on your behalf.
The boat accident team at Shamieh Law will treat you with the compassion and respect you deserve, thoroughly investigate your case, and fight hard to secure the full and fair compensation you are entitled to. Contact Shamieh Law today to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation. We handle boating accident cases on a contingency basis, meaning you pay nothing unless we win your case.
- Dallas Car Accidents
- Dallas Truck Accidents
- Dallas Bus Accidents
- Dallas Wrongful Death Accidents
- Dallas Boating Accidents
- Dallas Slip and Fall Accidents
- Dallas Dog Bite Lawyer
- Dallas Pedestrian Accidents
- Dallas Aviation Accidents
- Dallas Workplace Accidents
- Dallas Uber & Lyft Accidents
- Dallas Train Accidents
- Dallas Construction Accidents
- Dallas Nursing Home Abuse
- Dallas Hit and Run Accidents
- Dallas Industrial Accidents
- Dallas Oil Refinery Accidents
- Dallas DRAM Shop Liability
- Drunk Driving Accidents
- Daycare Abuse
- Defective Products