Workplace accidents are a common occurrence in the United States, leaving nearly 3 million people with mild to severe injuries. Of the 2.9 million workplace accidents that take place annually, approximately 5,200 are fatal and an additional 10,000 workers were faced with an amputation injury. These are serious numbers that show just how dangerous our workforce can be. While the majority of workplace accidents take place within the construction industry (one in five), every single industry is susceptible to accidents and injuries. The majority of workplace fatalities are falls, followed by electrocutions and struck by object accidents.
At Shamieh Law, we believe that every single employee deserves to work in a safe and supportive environment. Regardless of whether you work in construction or as an office assistant, it is the responsibility of your employer to provide the safest possible working conditions. Unfortunately, every single year in Texas and throughout the nation, countless individuals are involved in preventable workplace accidents. While many of these accidents resulting in minor injuries, others are fatal. Many of these accidents are caused by the negligence of others, which is where we come in. If you have been involved in a workplace accident in Dallas, please contact Shamieh Law today. Our attorneys not only understand the laws surrounding these types of accidents in Texas but are dedicated to ensuring justice is served and your rights are protected.
With that in mind, let’s now take a look at the five most common workplace accidents in America:
- Slips, Trips, and Falls – As mentioned earlier, falls are the leading cause of all workplace injuries and fatalities. In fact, slips, trips, and falls account for 1/3rd of all workplace accidents. Some common injuries that happen as a result of these types of accidents include head, back, and neck injuries, broken bones, cuts and lacerations, bruises, sprains, and pulled muscles.
- Accidents with Moving Machinery – Other common workplace accidents are those involving heavy machinery. Machinery that is not properly guarded or operated is a serious safety hazard that could result in injury or death. Many of these accidents occur when body parts get caught in or struck by exposed moving parts because the machine does not have the right protective guards.
- Vehicle-Related Accidents – Accidents involving vehicles can be very serious and result in debilitating injuries. Some common vehicle-related workplace accidents include being struck or run over by a moving vehicle, falling from a vehicle, being struck by objects from a vehicle, and being crushed by an overturned vehicle.
- Fires and Explosions – Some of the most devastating workplace accidents are those involving explosions and fires. These accidents are often caused by faulty gas lines, improperly stored combustible materials, or open flames. Injuries often damage the respiratory system and leave victims with serious burns and even disfigurement.
- Overexertion Injuries – While these accidents and injuries are far more subtle than an explosion or car accident, they are nonetheless serious. Back pain is the leading cause of disability and missed work in the world. Musculoskeletal injuries contribute to lack of productivity and cost employers millions of dollars every year.
If you have been involved in a serious workplace accident in Dallas, please contact Shamieh Law today.