Lake Charles Boat Accident Lawyers
Numerous boating accidents occur every year in Louisiana, many resulting in serious injuries and even death. These consequences can lead to crippling financial strain due to steep medical bills, lost wages, and lowered earning capacity. If you or a loved one were injured in a boating accident, talk to our experienced Lake Charles boating accident lawyers at Shamieh Law to get started down the road toward full and fair compensation. We offer free, no-obligation consultations.
707 Dr Michael DeBakey Drive Suite A Lake Charles, LA 70601
Boating accidents can lead to serious consequences, including severe injuries that require expensive, long-term medical care. Combined with lost wages and inability to work during recovery, your medical bills may create a heavy financial burden for you and your family.
If your boat accident was caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to significant legal compensation. However, since many insurance providers attempt to settle quickly for an unfair amount, securing legal representation from a skilled Lake Charles boating accident lawyer is crucial.
The legal team at Shamieh Law can help. Our personal injury attorneys serve the community in Louisiana from our office in Lake Charles. Schedule your free, no-obligation consultation today by calling (337) 477-7222 or filling out our online contact form.
Our Lake Charles Boat Accident Lawyers Will Fight for You
When dealing with overwhelming medical bills, time off work during recovery, and the stress of healing from a boat accident injury, contacting a lawyer after a boating accident might not be your first thought. However, it’s an essential step in pursuing compensation from the at-fault party.
At Shamieh Law, we understand the intricacies of Lake Charles boating accident cases. We help clients injured in these situations fight to secure full and fair compensation from the at-fault party. We believe in “Winning With Awareness,” which means we take a client-first approach and treat everyone involved in their cases with the dignity, respect, and compassion they deserve.
We treat every client like family, standing by their sides throughout the life of their cases—from their initial consultation to their day in court. If you or a loved one has been injured in a boating accident, our team can help. Among other things, we will:
- Listen to your story in a free, no-obligation consultation
- Make sure you understand your full legal rights and options
- Conduct a thorough investigation to uncover all available evidence in your case
- Negotiate a fair settlement offer on your behalf
- Take your case to trial if a fair out-of-court settlement cannot be achieved
At Shamieh Law, the well-being of our clients is our top priority. Our tireless dedication to our clients is reflected in the millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements we’ve recovered on their behalf, including:
- $250,000 after an 18-wheeler involved in a hit-and-run accident caused severe injuries resulting in disc herniations requiring multiple injections.
- $250,000 after our client was rear-ended by an 18-wheeler, requiring a lumbar fusion and spinal laminectomy.
- $250,000 after an 18-wheeler rear-ended our client, requiring surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff.
We believe in the high quality of our services, but you do not have to take our word for it. Instead, take a look at our client testimonials. To learn more about the services we provide in boating accident cases, listen to Jason, a client of ours who was gravely injured while boating on a lake.
Types of Boat Accidents
All sorts of factors can come together to give rise to a boating accident. For example, the boating accidents we’ve handled over the years have involved things like:
- Falling overboard
- Collisions between multiple boats or with fixed objects
- Boat accidents involving water skis and tubes
- Run-over incidents
Causes of Boating Accidents in Lake Charles
Every year, hundreds of people are injured in boating accidents across Louisiana. Between 2018 and 2022, Louisiana saw 538 recreational boating-related accidents, resulting in 119 fatalities. In 2022 alone, 29 people died in boating accidents across the state, a five-year high. Common causes of boating accidents in Louisiana include:
- Operator inexperience
- Boating under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Distracted operation
- Poor weather conditions
- Equipment malfunctions
Common Injuries in Lake Charles Boating Accidents
The injuries resulting from a boating accident can range from mild to severe, including:
- Broken and fractured bones
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
- Spinal cord injuries, including full or partial paralysis
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Scarring, disfigurement, and amputations
Fatal Boating Accidents
In many cases, boating injuries are fatal. If you have been injured or lost a loved one in a boating accident, talk to our experienced Lake Charles boating accident lawyers to understand your legal options. We are here to help.
Proving Negligence in a Lake Charles Boating Accident Lawsuit
In most cases, you must prove negligence to collect damages in a Lake Charles boating accident case. Doing so can be difficult and requires careful evaluation of all evidence available in your case, including witness statements, police reports, and medical records.
Securing help from a skilled Lake Charles boating accident lawyer is important, as completing this process while healing from your injuries and before the statute of limitations passes can be challenging. While you focus on healing, your lawyer can work on your case and help you fight to secure compensation.
To establish negligence in your boating accident case, you must prove four legal elements. First, you must establish that the at-fault party owed you a duty of care. Second, you must prove they failed to uphold this duty. For example, suppose the boat operator failed to uphold their duty to operate their vessel safely and injured you while you were swimming. This failure to take reasonable care is likely enough to prove negligence.
Next, you must demonstrate that you would not have been injured if the defendant hadn’t breached their duty of care. To prove this, you must show that the at-fault party’s breach of duty was the direct cause of your injuries. Continuing with our example, you would need to prove that if the boat operator hadn’t struck you, you wouldn’t have been injured.
Finally, you must prove that you suffered a compensable loss. You may be compensated for both the economic and non-economic impact your injuries have on your life. More on this below.
How Long Do You Have to File a Boat Accident Lawsuit in Lake Charles?
If you were injured in a boating accident, you typically have one year from the date of injury to file a claim against the at-fault party. The same timeframe applies to cases involving wrongful death. The deadline is set by the Louisiana personal injury statute of limitations and determines how long injured parties have to file a claim before they forfeit their right to pursue compensation.
Though exceptions to the deadline may apply in limited circumstances, seeking legal guidance as soon as possible is essential. Time can slip by quickly, and if you fail to file your claim before the correct deadline, you will likely lose the right to pursue compensation. Talk to our top-rated Lake Charles boating accident lawyers at Shamieh Law to ensure your claim is filed before the deadline passes.
Steps To Take After a Lake Charles Boat Accident
If you were involved in a boating accident, follow these steps:
- Seek medical attention – Get medical attention immediately after the accident, even if you don’t think your injuries are severe. Some injuries, such as internal organ damage, aren’t noticeable until symptoms appear hours or days later.
- Report the accident – Louisiana requires boaters to report any incident involving death or injury, the disappearance of a person from a vessel, property damage exceeding $500, or the complete loss of a vessel.
- Collect contact information and evidence – Collect as much information as possible at the scene. Start by gathering the at-fault party’s contact and insurance information, as well as the names and contact information of any witnesses to the accident. Next, document the aftermath of the accident, including property damage, injuries, and signs of intoxication.
- Talk to an attorney – Seek legal guidance from an experienced Lake Charles boating injury lawyer as soon as possible. Your lawyer will make sure you know your full legal rights and options.
Talk to Our Experienced Boat Accident Lawyers at Shamieh Law
Boating accidents often result in serious injuries that impact victims for the rest of their lives, both physically and financially. Though legal compensation cannot undo the experience, it can help offset the costs associated with your accident, as well as provide a measure of justice and accountability.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a boating accident, our knowledgeable, compassionate Lake Charles boat accident lawyers at Shamieh Law can help. Schedule your free, no-obligation consultation today by calling (337) 477-7222 or filling out our online contact form.
- Lake Charles Personal Injury
- Lake Charles Brain Injuries
- Lake Charles Boat Accidents
- Lake Charles Burn Injuries
- Lake Charles Car Accidents
- Lake Charles Drunk Driving Accidents
- Lake Charles Motorcycle Accidents
- Lake Charles Rideshare Accidents
- Lake Charles Spinal Cord Injuries
- Lake Charles Truck Accidents
- Lake Charles Wrongful Deaths