Prepare Yourself for Potential Car Wrecks
Resolutions are common with the start of any new year, but most people focus on eating better, going to the gym, and self-improvement. Because car wrecks are so common in Texas and throughout the country, maybe it’s time to take control and protect yourself from accidents and injury in 2020. Accidents happen every single day on major highways and interstates, city streets, and backcountry roads. In many cases, these accidents occur in the blink of the eye and cannot be stopped. However, there are numerous steps drivers, passengers, and pedestrians can take to prevent a deadly accident in the coming year. Knowing what to do when disaster strikes following a car accident can be crucial to your case — and survival.
Last month, we discussed holiday accidents and what goes into a car wreck report in Texas. Today’s blog is going to build off of that article by focusing on what you can do to protect yourself from an accident. At Shamieh Law, we believe in the importance of educating our clients and ensuring they have all the knowledge and information necessary to make the best decision for their needs. We want to help you avoid accidents and injuries in 2020, if possible.
If the unexpected happens, and you find yourself the victim of a car accident, give us a call. Our Dallas personal injury lawyers will help you understand your rights and whether or not you can take legal action. We will also ensure all deadlines are met, as there are specific statutes of limitations governing how long you have to file a lawsuit following a car accident. If you have any questions or would like to schedule a free consultation, contact Shamieh Law today.
Car Accident Statistics
According to the Association for Safe International Road Travel, nearly 1.25 million people die in traffic accidents globally every year, and an additional 20 to 50 million are seriously injured or disabled. More than half of all traffic accident-related deaths involve people between the ages of 15 and 44. And perhaps most surprising, car accidents are the 9th-leading cause of death worldwide. Furthermore, car wrecks impact millions of people every single year. No matter how careful you are, there’s a good chance you will be involved in some traffic incidents during your lifetime. But knowing how to protect yourself and what can be done in the face of adversary is crucial.
Before we go over some helpful tips for protecting yourself from an accident in 2020, let’s look at a few additional facts:
- More than 37,000 people die in car accidents in the United States every year
- Almost 8,000 of those involved in fatal car wrecks are between the ages of 16 and 20
- Road accidents cost the United States $230.6 billion each year
- Car crashes are the most significant cause of death of healthy Americans traveling abroad
- Texas is home to nearly 3,500 fatal car accidents each year
- Of these, 1,313 deaths were a single-vehicle, run-off-road accident (2017)
- The fatality rate in Texas is 1.36 deaths per hundred million miles traveled
- One person dies in a car accident in Texas every two hours and 20 minutes
- Drunk driving played a role in 26 percent of fatal Texas traffic accidents
We hope these numbers help you understand how common car accidents are here in Texas, the United States, and globally.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
The leading causes of car accidents in Texas include:
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Reckless driving
- Inclement weather
- Failing to stop at a red light
- Nighttime driving
- Construction zones
- Running stop signs
- Teen drivers (lack of experience)
- Wrong-way driving
- Improper turns
- Animal crossings
The above are the most common causes of car accidents in Texas, but please keep in mind many other factors may contribute to a deadly wreck. If you’ve been injured in a car accident or lost a loved one, contact Shamieh Law and schedule a free consultation today.
Tips for Preventing a Deadly Car Accident
Car accidents can happen in a matter of seconds. If you aren’t paying attention, these accidents can be deadly. To protect yourself from suffering a costly injury in 2020, we encourage you to keep your eyes on the road and brush up on tips for staying safe when out on the streets. Whether you are cruising along the rural county roads, traveling to a nearby state, or heading into Dallas for the weekend, you must drive defensively to avoid an accident. Here are some of our top tips for protecting yourself from car wrecks in 2020:
- Learn defensive driving skills – Driving defensively is essential to protecting yourself from possible collisions. Defensive driving skills include:
- Plan ahead
- Prepare for the unexpected
- Control your speed
- Be prepared to react to other drivers
- Be alert
- Avoid distractions
- Put down your cell phone!
- Never text while driving
- Avoid distractions – We cannot reiterate how important this is. Never use your cell phone while driving and avoid fiddling with the radio or GPS. Do these things before you start the car and your journey.
- Beware of blind spots – Check your mirrors when changing lanes, turning, backing up, or performing any other task while driving. But your mirrors aren’t always enough — you should also turn and look before changing lanes or entering the highway, for example.
- Carry an emergency kit – You never know when you will become stranded. Make sure you have an emergency kit in your car that includes a flashlight, jumper cables, motor oil, first aid kit, blanket, coolant, tool kit, and water.
- Consider upgrading your insurance to full coverage – Better safe than sorry, right? If you just have liability insurance, you may end up paying a lot more out-of-pocket after an accident, and there’s a chance your premium will increase. So, talk to your insurance agent about upgrading to full coverage to protect your interests.
- Talk to a personal injury lawyer – If you were involved in a car accident, one of the first things you should do is contact a personal injury lawyer. We offer free consultations and are here to discuss everything you need to know about your case.
We hope the above tips help you understand what can be done to stay safe on the Texas roadways in the coming year. If you were involved in an accident and would like to seek damages, let us help. Car accident settlements are often trickier than many people realize. Unfortunately, insurance companies may try to take advantage of victims, offering them a much lower settlement than they deserve. Our attorneys will help you get the compensation you deserve and ensure the settlement is more than fair. Give Shamieh Law a call today for more information or to schedule an appointment with one of our experienced Dallas personal injury lawyers.