Austin Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer
Despite multiple easy options for getting home after having a few drinks, drunk driving remains a problem in Austin and throughout Texas. At Shamieh Law, we help drunk driving accident victims fight for their right to full and fair compensation. Our experienced Austin DWI accident lawyers have the legal skills and experience to handle your case from start to finish. Call us at 512-888-3333 today to schedule your free consultation.
3800 North Lamar Blvd Suite #200, Austin, Texas 78756
Drunk drivers endanger themselves and everyone else on the road. An accident with one of these reckless drivers can instantaneously change your life. Often, they are catastrophic and even fatal. The emotional and physical toll is immense, and the legal aftermath can feel overwhelming.
In these situations, you need a lawyer who has a solid grasp of the governing law, as well as the ability to empathetically understand and communicate the impact these traumatic events have on injured victims and their loved ones. Look no further.
At Shamieh Law, our team of Austin car accident lawyers have extensive experience handling these kinds of cases. We blend legal knowledge with a compassionate approach to every case that passes through our doors. As we handle your case from start to finish, you can count on us to keep you informed every step of the way. We are here to help. Contact us today to learn more in a free consultation.
Why Choose The Attorneys at Shamieh Law?
At Shamieh Law, we focus on personal injury cases and have years of experience helping clients injured by drunk drivers. Our team is composed of seasoned DWI accident attorneys who bring a wealth of experience, legal knowledge, and a client-focused approach. We understand that each case is unique, and we tailor our strategies to the specific needs and goals of each client.
Our Philosophy: Winning With Awareness
Our mission is to provide top-of-the-line legal representation while maintaining the highest ethical standards. Our “Winning With Awareness” philosophy is what sets us apart. Our approach is not just about securing monetary outcomes but ensuring that all results are achieved ethically and respectfully. We treat everyone with dignity and compassion, starting with our clients and extending to our staff, opposing attorneys, judges, and everyone we interact with throughout the life of each case. We find this approach serves our clients very well.
Settlements We’ve Won for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents in Austin
When injured by a drunk driver, you need a law firm that can deliver the justice and accountability you deserve. At Shamieh Law, our track record speaks volumes about our skill in handling car accident cases, including those involving drunk drivers. Visit our case results page to see the settlements and verdicts we have achieved, including:
- $1 million settlement – Our client suffered a broken femur, disc herniations, and a traumatic brain injury in a drunk driving accident.
- $450,000 settlement – A family of three, including an infant, were victims of a three-car crash caused by a drunk driver.
- $325,000 settlement – Our client suffered major injuries from riding in a vehicle with a drunk driver who pulled out in front of a semi-truck.
Testimonials From Our Austin Clients
Nothing speaks louder than the voices of our satisfied clients. Their testimonials provide a glimpse of the real-world impact our services have on their lives, as well as our commitment to justice and client well-being. Our clients describe working with our Austin injury law office in the following ways:
- “Completely trustworthy.”
- “Absolutely recommended.”
- “Exceptional services.”
- “Helpful and informative pursuant to my car accident.”
- “Always made me feel . . . my case was her top priority.”
- “Incredibly responsive . . . and on top of everything.”
- “Unparalleled level of professionalism, expertise, and genuine empathy.”
- “In addition to their legal prowess, the entire staff . . . is compassionate and understanding.”
- “Their attention to detail . . . is truly remarkable.”
- “What sets Shamieh Law apart . . . is their unwavering dedication to clients.”
- “The communication . . . is excellent.”
- “Their tenacity and dedication to achieving justice . . . were truly inspiring.”
Shamieh Law Is an Award-Winning Austin Law Firm
Our work defending the rights of injury victims has not gone unnoticed. Over the years, our drunk driving accident attorneys in Austin have been recognized by multiple publications and organizations, including:
- Super Lawyers
- Texas Lawyer
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100
- The Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- The American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys
How Common Are Drunk Driving Accidents in Austin?
Drunk driving is a significant issue in Austin and throughout Texas. According to the Texas Department of Transportation, there are approximately three deaths related to drunk driving per day in our state.
According to the City of Austin, drunk driving and associated fatalities remain very concerning. Similarly, Travis County reported 27 drunk driving-related deaths last year and many more cases of injuries.
While drunk driving remains a problem, endeavors such as increased law enforcement during high-risk times and increased rideshare services have shown promise in reducing drunk driving accidents in Austin.
What Compensation is Available Through a Drunk Driving Claim?
When you’re injured at little to no fault of your own, the law provides avenues for you to secure compensation from the at-fault party. If your case proceeds to court, there are three types of damages the court may award you. In drunk driving and other auto accident cases, compensation normally comes in the following three forms:
These are quantifiable financial losses you incurred from your accident. These damages aim to restore you to your previous financial state. They can compensate for things like:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Lost future wages
- Other out-of-pocket expenses
These damages are more subjective and relate to the emotional impact of the accident. Though it is more difficult to quantify, this form of damages can significantly raise the value of your claim. Non-economic damages may compensate for things like:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
Courts order punitive damages, also known as exemplary damages, to punish at-fault parties for their misbehavior. Although punitive damages are rarely awarded, they can provide a significant amount of compensation.
How Will My Austin Drunk Driving Accident Lawsuit Be Structured?
Your Austin drunk driving accident lawyer will first try to reach a fair out-of-court settlement when insurance is available. That said, a full-fledged lawsuit may ultimately be necessary to secure the full and fair compensation you are entitled to.
- Insurance claims: Filing a claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance is the first step in a drunk driving accident. Our Austin DWI accident attorneys are ready to negotiate with insurance companies to seek fair compensation.
- Personal injury lawsuit: When insurance is insufficient to cover your damages or when a fair out-of-court settlement cannot be reached, filing a lawsuit is the next step. Through a lawsuit, you can claim economic damages, such as medical bills, and non-economic damages, including pain and suffering.
- Wrongful death lawsuits: When a drunk driving accident results in a fatality, surviving family members can file a wrongful death lawsuit. Of course, money can never right this kind of wrong. However, surviving loved ones can recover legal damages meant to compensate for things like funeral expenses, loss of companionship, and future earnings of the person killed.
Pursuing Compensation When the Drunk Driver Faces Criminal Charges
A drunk driving accident may leave you wondering whether you can pursue compensation in Texas if the drunk driver also faces criminal charges. Yes, you can. In Texas, criminal and civil cases operate independently of each other.
While the state prosecutes the drunk driver in criminal court to seek penalties, including fines, license suspension, or imprisonment, you have the right to file a civil lawsuit to seek compensation for your damages. Further, as part of their punishment after a criminal conviction, the court may order defendants facing prosecution to pay victims restitution.
Drunk Driving Laws in Texas Penal Code
As we all know, drunk driving is criminal behavior that endangers everyone on the road, including the drunk driver. The Texas Penal Code explains as follows:
- Definition of intoxicated – You are intoxicated if the consumption of alcohol, drugs, or a controlled substance leaves you without the normal use of mental or physical faculties.
- Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) limit – The legal BAC is 0.08 percent.
- Open container law – Texas prohibits possessing an open container of alcohol in the passenger area of a vehicle.
How Long Do You Have to File a DUI Accident Lawsuit in Texas?
The statute of limitations to file an Austin drunk driving accident claim is two years from the date of injury or death. Though there are some exceptions to the rule, it is best to consult with an experienced Austin DWI attorney to make sure one applies in your case.
The statute of limitations is a law that limits how long you have to file your personal injury lawsuit. If you miss the strictly enforced deadline, the presiding court will most likely be forced to dismiss your case.
How is Liability Determined in an Austin Drunk Driving Case?
Liability in your drunk driving case is not limited to the intoxicated driver. Depending on the circumstances, Texas law allows you to sue multiple parties for the same accident. After a drunk driving accident in Austin, you may be able to sue the following parties:
- The intoxicated driver
- The “social host” who provided alcohol
- The business that sold the alcohol (see the Texas Dram Shop Act)
- The driver’s employer if they were drinking and driving during the “course and scope of their employment.”
Common Injuries Sustained in Austin DUI Accidents
Drunk driving can result in a wide range of serious injuries. Some are catastrophic in nature. Many times, they are fatal. Common injuries we see in our practice include:
- Bruises, strains, sprains, and tears
- Broken bones
- Brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
- Amputation and permanent disfigurement
- Wrongful death
Schedule a Free Case Review With Shamieh Law
At Shamieh Law, our Austin DWI accident lawyers are ready to guide you through the legal aftermath of a drunk driving accident. From settlement negotiations to litigation in court, we have the skills and resources to handle your case from start to finish.
We focus on pursuing the compensation you deserve, as well as on making the process as stress-free as possible for you. Call us at 512-888-3333 or contact us online today to schedule your free consultation. You pay nothing unless we win your case.