Being involved in a car accident of any kind can be a very scary and overwhelming experience. Regardless of whether it was a minor fender bender or a more serious collision, it is important that you know what to do, and what NOT to do. Many people do not realize this, but your actions immediately following a car accident can have a major impact on your claim. If you are involved in a car accident, there are definitely a few steps you must take to ensure your own safety, and safety of the other driver(s) involved, and anyone else on the scene of the accident.
It is important that you contact the police, inform your insurance company, and seek medical attention, if necessary. However, there are also some things you should never do following a car accident. As experienced auto accident attorneys, we understand that these situations are often charged with adrenaline, which can cloud your judgment. Before you do anything else, take a deep breath and try to remember the points we are going to discuss below. It is also a good idea to contact an attorney who understands these types of cases and can advise you on how to proceed.
Let’s now take a look at the top things you should never, ever do following a car accident in Dallas or Lake Charles:
- Never move your vehicle, unless you need to for safety reasons or it is required by law
- Never stand in the way of traffic while waiting for the police, as this could put yourself and others in serious danger
- Never leave the scene of an accident unless the police tell you it is OK to do so
- Never throw away any evidence that could help with your case
- This includes defective products, clothing, and any car parts that came off during the accident
- Never stay in a burning or steaming car while you wait for help to arrive
- Always leave the area of danger, then call 911 once you are in a safe place
- Never try to clean up the scene
- While your intentions may be in the right place, trying to clean up an accident is not only dangerous but could get you in trouble with the authorities
- Never admit fault
- This is perhaps the biggest mistake people make following a car accident
- Do not engage in conversation with others on the scene of the accident to discuss fault, and certainly do not apologize for anything, as this could be viewed as an admittance of guilt
- Never agree to settlement terms without talking to an attorney first
- In most cases, the first settlement offered is a very, very low number. While it may seem like a lot of money, chances are the insurance company is undercutting you. Always talk to an attorney and discuss your options before agreeing to take a settlement.
If you have been involved in a car accident in Lake Charles or Dallas, please keep the above tips in mind. To learn more about what to expect following a car accident, please contact Shamieh Law today and schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced car accident lawyers.